The Archives are regularly open to the public on Tuesdays and Thursdays unless otherwise posted.
Before planning a visit, please review the LSLIRC TARR Archives Orientation Guide for Researchers and contact the Archives ahead of time to submit a record request detailing the scope and purpose of research to ensure the material requested can be accessed. Public researchers have open access to records in the public domain, however any material obtained via research for a specific claim is governed by our circulation policy.
The Archives is located on the 2nd floor of the Slave Lake Plaza. The main entrance is located on the side of building next to the parking lot:2nd Floor – Slave Lake Plaza 201 Main Street Slave Lake, Alberta T0G 2A2
What to Bring
- Council Resolution – Records pertaining to specific First Nations will require a signed Council Resolution (CR). Please refer to the Circulation and Access Policy page for further details regarding obtaining a CR. If a CR is necessary to access records, please ensure you bring the signed copy to the Archives.
- Photo identification.
- Pencil, paper, laptop, tablet.
Reviewing Records in the Reading Room
When reviewing Archival records in the reading room, the following rules apply:
- Archival records are non-circulating and must remain in the reading room. If copies are needed, please speak to the Archivist regarding reproductions. All photocopies and scans must be made by the Archivist.
- Food and drink are not permitted.
- Only pencils are permitted to take notes. Ink writing utensils are not permitted. Electronic devices such as laptops and tablets are also permissible.
- Please ensure records are placed back in the original order in the file after review.
- Please avoid writing on top, leaning or folding archival materials to ensure minimal damage to the records.
Inappropriate and harmful handling of records may result in the withdrawal of access privileges. Further, any abusive, or inappropriate behavior towards Archives staff may also result in the termination of access privileges granted by the CR.